New Salary Range: $60,320 to $91,000
+ New Trainee Salary Rate: $29.00/Hr
+ New Trainee: $3,500 Sign-On Incentive
+ Lateral Transfer: $5,000 Sign-On Incentive
+ Up to $7,500 Relocation Assistance, Including up to $3,000 for Temporary Housing.*
IT’S NOT A JOB. IT’S A CALLING.
Few jobs have more impact on the lives of others than that of a Maricopa County Deputy Sheriff. You’ll be helping to ensure the safety and well-being of millions. And by so doing, impacting your own life by doing meaningful work and securing your future.
NOW OFFERING: PAID PARENTAL LEAVE
Enjoy up to six weeks for the birth or adoption of a child. Applies to all employees with one full year of employment.
*For those residing outside Maricopa County
POSITIONS THAT ALIGN WITH YOUR PASSION.
As a Deputy Sheriff, your career opportunities are extensive. You can grow in rank or earn an assignment on other specialized Deputy Sheriff teams — or even pursue other careers within MCSO, such as Emergency Dispatch, Detention Officer, or a variety of civilian positions.
Specialized Deputy Sheriff Assignments:
- Lake Patrol
- Trails Division
- Fugitive Apprehension Tactical Enforcement (FATE)
- Dive Team
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES?
- Ability and willingness to work hard and conscientiously regardless of assignment and be committed to MCSO’s mission
- Act without regard to personal preference or bias; to take actions and make decisions through the thoughtful consideration of discretion
- Ability to solve problems quickly in emergency situations and under stress
- Ability to maintain composure in difficult or stressful situations such as those that require emergency action
- High school diploma or GED
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must be twenty (20) years and six (6) months of age at the time of application
- 21 years of age prior to the completion of the Sheriff’s academy
- Must meet Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) standards, as determined through the pre-employment process, as indicated here
Below are the requirements to complete the pre-academy Physical Readiness Assessment (PRA).
PHYSICAL READINESS ASSESSMENT (PRA)
Trainee applicants who successfully complete the written exam, background investigation and polygraph examination must successfully demonstrate physical readiness by completing a series of assessments which consists of the following:
What is Measured by the Assessment:
Leg Explosive Power
18 Inches Vertical
(15.5 Inches with a Yardstick)
One (1) Repetition Max (RM) - Bench Press
Upper Body Absolute Strength
Push 72% of Body Weight or 115 Pounds
Agility and Coordination
300 Meter Run
Anaerobic Power and Speed
Upper Body Dynamic Strength
or Muscular Endurance
1.5 Mile Run/Walk
17 minutes, 44 seconds or less
Maricopa County offers a Total Compensation Package that includes competitive salaries and a comprehensive, affordable benefits package. Our generous benefit options are some of the best in Arizona and just one of the unique advantages of working as a Maricopa County Deputy Sheriff.
NEW TRAINEE: $3,500 SIGN-ON INCENTIVE
LATERAL TRANSFER: $5,000 SIGN-ON INCENTIVE
Paid Parental Leave*
Paid Education and Training
Paid Holidays and vacation
* Employees with 12 months of continuous service with the County are eligible for up to 240 hours (6 weeks) of Paid Parental Leave for the birth or adoption of a child. This is in addition to paid vacation and sick leave.
Following a successful application process, post-hire participation in a paid, 24-week Deputy Sheriff academy is required.
Individuals with lapsed Arizona POST certification, and those who have served as a certified peace officer in another state or federal agency, please submit an application for the Deputy Sheriff – Lateral position.