IT’S NOT A JOB.
IT’S A CALLING.
Few jobs have more impact on the lives of others than that of a Maricopa County Deputy Sheriff. You’ll be helping to ensure the safety and well-being of millions. And by so doing, impacting your own life by doing meaningful work and securing your future.
ASSIGNMENTS THAT ALIGN WITH YOUR PASSION.
As a Deputy Sheriff, your career opportunities are extensive. You can grow in rank or earn an assignment on other specialized Deputy Sheriff teams — or even pursue other careers within MCSO, such as Emergency Dispatch, Detention Officer, or a variety of civilian positions.
Specialized Deputy Sheriff Assignments:
- Lake Patrol
- Fugitive Apprehension Tactical Enforcement (FATE)
- Dive Team
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES?
- Ability and willingness to work hard and conscientiously regardless of assignment and be committed to MCSO’s mission
- Act without regard to personal preference or bias; to take actions and make decisions through the thoughtful consideration of discretion
- Ability to solve problems quickly in emergency situations and under stress
- Ability to maintain composure in difficult or stressful situations such as those that require emergency action
- High school diploma or GED
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must be twenty (20) years and six (6) months of age at the time of application
- 21 years of age prior to the completion of the Sheriff’s academy
- Must meet Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) standards, as determined through the pre-employment process, as indicated here
For other special requirements and minimum physical readiness standards, click here.
Maricopa County offers a Total Compensation Package that includes competitive salaries and a comprehensive, affordable benefits package. Our generous benefit options are some of the best in Arizona and just one of the unique advantages of working as a Maricopa County Deputy Sheriff.
Paid Education and Training
Paid Holidays and vacation
Following a successful application process, post-hire participation in a paid, 24-week Deputy Sheriff academy is required.
Individuals with lapsed Arizona POST certification, and those who have served as a certified peace officer in another state or federal agency, please submit an application for the Deputy Sheriff – Lateral position.